What a relief that we’re coming out of lockdown here in Vienna. We hope you and your loved ones are well. But it’s not just the shops, restaurants and bars that are reopening–the museums and galleries are too. It feels like art and culture in the city is finally coming up for air!
The flash fiction competition
To celebrate, and in anticipation of new Sunday Writers’ Club sessions starting soon, we’ve decided to hold a flash-fiction competition. We’ve chosen 2 paintings from the wonderful Albertina Museum (more about the museum below), and we challenge you to use one of them as inspiration for a new and original piece of writing, no more than 1000 words.
The competition images
We’ve chosen two paintings from the Albertina Museum’s upcoming exhibition: The Beginning. Art in Austria 1945 to 1980.
Woman Power, 1979
The ALBERTINA Museum, Vienna – The ESSL Collection © Maria Lassnig Foundation / Bildrecht, Vienna, 2020
Running Klemmer, 1969
Mixed media (oil and egg tempera) on canvas
The ALBERTINA Museum, Vienna © Estate Robert Klemmer
The competition winners
We will publish our favourite 3 pieces on the Sunday Writers’ Club blog and podcast. The winning authors can choose to read their story for the podcast or have the story read by either Keith Gray or Paul Malone on their behalf.
There are prizes too! These will be handed out at the earliest convenient Sunday morning session.
You have from 12 noon May 17th until 12 noon May 24th to submit your writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the city, feel inspired, and happy writing.
- You don’t have to live in Vienna to enter
- You have until 12 noon May 24th to submit your writing – late entries will not be accepted
- Submit your story as a Word document to email@example.com (subject: flash fiction competition submission, your name)
- Maximum 1000 words
- You can only submit one piece of writing
- The writing must be inspired by one of the above images from the Albertina Museum
- The writing must be yours and you agree to having it published on the Sunday Writers’ Club blog if it is one of the three winners
- Submissions must be written in English
- Judges choices are final
- Winners will be announced on Sunday 31st May
The Albertina Museum
The Albertina Museum reopens on 27th May. Celebrate art, culture, and spring in Vienna by getting along to the museum. The images we chose for this flash fiction competition are a part of the Albertina’s exhibition: Albertina Modern. The Beginning. Art in Austria 1945 to 1980. Visit the Albertina Museum website here